There is a point every Petoskey winter when you can’t locate the cause of the draft in your home. It could theoretically be originating from a window that isn’t closed or sealed correctly. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes unpleasant and chilly, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air seeping into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
According to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your regular energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with appropriately sealed windows. To help limit spending and cut down drafty air from entering your home, it’s essential to be able to identify where these window drafts might be located and why. Here are some useful tips to pinpoint your Petoskey home’s drafts and inspect for issues:
- Search for gaps and fractures in strange points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the usual windows with functional capabilities and use a painless visual inspection.
- Examine to ensure that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Make sure that the sealant or gasket around the operable portion of the window or door is properly sealing.
- Test the installation by verifying if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only perform as well as it is positioned.
- Call an expert from Pella Windows and Doors in Petoskey to have them run a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to concentrate on the source of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the experts in Petoskey a call at 231-622-4417 with any extra questions or possible replacement needs.